CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Unknown Thirds blog

I didn't really know what to think of all these new... people.
They all seemed nice, and they had helped Cati.
But at the same time, it was hard to get used to the whole... good guy thing.

Especially with my background.

The meaty dwarf started pulling random pieces of food out of one of the few bags that they brought.
He handed everything around with a pleased expression on his face.
Rolls, meat, fruit...

It was all very quiet since Lith and Discrol left.

But Cati isn't known for being quiet for very long.

"So," She said rather loudly as she bit into a hunk of meat, "Lith will be back, she just doesn't like your elf friend and doesn't want to go commando on his butt. Although, it might not have helped that he followed her."

Branduff chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck, "He just wanted to talk to her, its not often that we a Prodigy Child, I think that he's very interested in her story right now. He's a curious elf that one, though he's very good at masking his feelings... he used to be a prince you know."

"What?!" I said at the exact same time Cati said.
"Used?"

Branduff, liking our expressions, almost laughed at the sudden response,
"He was exiled, sent to help the rebels, but that's another story altogether. It's not mine to tell."

"So what's your story Branduff? How did you manage to be one of the people to come out here to meet us? Why do you even trust us?" Cati blurts out.
"Cati," I said gently. "If he doesn't want t-''

"I actually" Branduff cut me off. "Came out here so I could ask you specials a couple questions about whereabouts of my brothers before you arrived back to where we're taking you. But before you say anything let me explain."

He paused and played with a blade of grass. "I thought," he said almost to himself. " if I help you, maybe you would help me."

Cati nodded and settled into me, ready for the story.

"There were rumors going around that the Mistress wanted to do some testing on dwarfs at the time, I never thought it would be my kin... We were ambushed one night, all three of us were guarding the outer wall of our village, many, many leagues from here. They came out of nowhere..." He flinched slightly as he recalled that night. "We didn't see it coming, they had left us alone for so long... I never thought that it would happen so quickly..."

I took a breath and tried to steady myself...
I can't let my body get rigid... Cati will feel it.

Her wonderful eyes were wide with wonder, obviously she didn't have any idea of this mission.
She was probably still in basic Special training at the time...

"The two of them were silent, but incredibly strong and deadly. One was male... the other female, or at least from what I could tell."
He picked up a roll and started absently chewing on it.

"My brothers and I fought, but we were no match for these soldiers... They were targeting my brothers, I could tell in the way they fought and moved, I wasn't a priority. My brothers fought with a bravery that would have graced our mother with pride; they were fine... fine warriors of our clan... But... those two Specials... they had knocked me out within a couple of minutes of the fight, a pressure point, and when I woke up the next day, I was bruised... and my brothers were gone."
True sorrow entered his eyes, a pain like nothing I'd ever seen.

Regret entered my heart...

I realized, my arm had gone tight and stiff around Cati, she didn't notice, to caught up in Branduff's story. I tried to loosen my grip.

"Abhey, which means fearless, was my older brother's name, he was tall... for a dwarf... and had a long salt and pepper beard. Derex, was my younger brother, he had a long blond beard and the lightest kindest blue eyes you will ever see.''

I flinched slightly. Their voices had entered my head... begging for mercy...

"Have you seen them around your headquarters?"

Cati looked up at him, "No," She said chewing slightly on her lip "I've never seen any dwarfs at the Facility..."

Cati nudged me,
"What about you Third? You've been around longer then I have..."

Then, and only then, I was very glad that she couldn't see my face.

"No," I said steadily. "Never."

Branduff's eyes were filled with grief and regret.
"Thank you." He said quietly.

My thoughts were racing...
My past long behind me, but still close at the same time.
And my future, here in my arms...

0 comments: